Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Despite what Victoria's secret tries to do, It's hard to jazz up sweatpants.

I have been sick this whole weekend, but before that I have had a cast on my arm for over a month. One that goes past the elbow and not only that, Its HUGE.
Point is I have been living in sweats and T-shirts, a far far cry from where I used to be trend wise, I call this Ultra Casual.
There 4 are stages to casual:
1.) Dress up Casual (Blazer with jeans)
2.) Casual-Casual (Jeans with Jersey knit top, sandals, sweaters etc...)
3.) Ultra Casual ( Sporty sweats, T-shirts, tennis shoes.)
4.) Giving up :( ( Tracksuit, PERIOD.)

 At first I tried to do the best I could pulling out all of my Victoria's secret PINK sweats because lets face it ladies if you have to wear them sweats are better worn with a bedazzled ass. (I can't believe I just said that.) But much like the 80's brought us the bedazzler the PINK line has given us the false sense of security that dressing like a hungover sorority sister on her way to English class is acceptable in everyday life.  And when you walk out the door you feel like you look like this...


Or for anyone over the age of 30, This is from the Talbot's At Ease collection:

















I used to run to the grocery or out shopping on weekends in yoga pants and tennis shoes once in a while because I  like to be comfortable, who doesn't?? But think about it, not too long ago women would still wear their pearls while cleaning the house, They would wear hats and white gloves when going out and wear silk pajamas to bed... Never sweatpants and a t-shirt. Now over some bad fashion evoloution it is socially acceptable for people to wear their pajamas out in public.

I am a fashion forward individual but I am not above wearing fat pants every once in a while. I don't care if you are Anna Wintour herself, everyone has fat pants. However,you will not find a picture of Anna in sweats because trust me I tried and when I typed it into Google I actually got a corrective:
  Did you mean: Not a chance in Hell?

 I am not going to give up my sweats mostly because I can't right now and as much as I want to look like the happy young carefree model in reality I probably look like this...



Ok just kidding that is not how I dress even for a stomach flu, but there is a right way and a wrong way to do Ultra Casual.
 Im saying this for all of us who have those days, my advice is this:
1.) Keep the hair clean, Pulled back accent with a headband.
2.) Try wearing simple earrings like small studs
3.) Stick to Black. Its slimming and looks cleaner and sleeker than mismatched neon's.
4.) This goes for any age and any shape, Imagine you are going to run into everyone you know when you step out of the house feeling like a bag of potatoes. You want them to think that even though you are dressing down you look freakin' fantastic doing it. Walk with confidence and know that everyone has those days and this too shall pass.

This entry may go against the code of trend setters everywhere but if you are gonna do it, do it right. And for God's sake don't look like Britney.

No comments:

Post a Comment