Saturday, October 13, 2012

Country Glamor


Alright all you Jersey shore watchers, Its the south's turn in the spotlight. My new favorite show is Nasville on ABC. Its starting a movement away from super tan and animal print everything and showing the world what southern style is all about.
Nashville is a show about a Country Leading lady, Rayna James (played by Connie Britton) and her struggle to stay on top of a changing music scene. Hayden Paneittiere plays the label's young ingenue Juliette Barns who is desperate to take over Rayna's spotlight. This show is full of scandal and beauty in looks as well as music, its going to introduce a whole new audience to country music. So in honor of this new show I'm going to highlight one of my favorite styles, Country Glamour

Growing up in the south, country music has always been a part of my life. I always secretly wanted to be a country music star. This actually led me to working for for Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede. I was in love with the fact that during the day I was shoveling stalls and riding horses then dressing up to perform a show every night. The love from the crowds was intoxicating and I will take any excuse to wear sparkles.



 I have always thought that women of country music have this classic beauty, this shine, sparkle and electric confidence that no other performer had. Maybe its because they are just a little bit different. They dominated the scene after country music was considered a mans world. They sang of real issues women faced like first loves, broken hearts, cheating husbands and home wreckin' hussys.

When I think classic country glamour I think of Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, and Dolly Parton to name a few. These women all came from very humble beginnings but were able to become country superstars. The most appealing thing to me is that they seemed so down to earth, and yet so glamorous. They transitioned country style from rhinestone studded western wear to silk dresses and larger than life hair. They wanted the world to see that country music can be feminine and beautiful.





I grew up with, Dixie Chicks, Trisha Yearwood, Shania Twain and Faith Hill. They were great role models for me since they didn't have to bare all to be considered sexy. The oozed confidence and wrote songs that seemed to speak to me, some were happy summer anthems to powerful love songs. They stood on good values but still had southern  sass.



When you think Fashion you don't automatically think of country music stars. But Country Glamour to me means style that has a great contrast between hard and soft, its a true rustic chicness.
 Jeans, Boots, Sweet little white dresses and beautiful Jewelry. Its a mix of Classic and Earthy with effortless sparkle and knowing that you can mix any formal gown with cowboy boots. Country style no matter how gorgeous or grungy is all about remembering where you came from and where these boots will take you next.


You don't have to be country to appreciate its style. Fashion is all about taking bits and pieces from different genres and making them your own. Pop culture has great influence on style so hopefully you will see more ladies moving away from the super tan, and over processed "snookie" look to a softer and prettier more natural look with the help of the new shows on TV highlighting southern style.
Definitely check out Nashville on Wednesday nights on ABC, look for the raw attitude, beautiful music and I hope it inspires you to try out a little country style of your own.
Enjoy!









No comments:

Post a Comment